Monday, January 18, 2016

What's That Cilan-truh?

Earlier this evening I ran to the smaller grocery store in town. I love it so, it reminds me of the little one we had back home. The people are always super nice. It's never crazy busy, and if it is, they open up more lines, unlike the "superstore" across town. Prices vary; some stuff is more expensive, and some stuff is way cheaper. They have a great little produce section. And they also have superior meat compared to the "superstore".

On with the story...

So, I grabbed a couple of things I needed last minute for the pork tacos we were having; cilantro, avocado, and tortillas. I head to the register, and of course find one open, and the gal starts ringing me up. I kid you not, she picked up the cilantro and asked me what it was and what I used it for! I just assumed, I guess, that EVERYONE knew what cilantro was. I laughed and said that I would be putting it in my salsa, and as a topping on the tacos. She was very polite when she recognized that I was not "from 'round here," to which I promptly replied, "No ma'am, I'm from Texas!" We both laughed, but she still seriously did not know what cilantro was. 

I seriously had no clue that folks did not know what cilantro was. And if you're reading this and you don't know what cilantro is, I just feel sorry for ya! No, but seriously, you have to go buy some, make a great mexican recipe and throw some in! You won't be disappointed. If you don't have a recipe to try, you can try my Slow Cooker Chopped Pork Tacos and Homemade Salsa! They're delish! You know how when you bite into something so good you can't even talk, that's how this recipe is. 

 Slow Cooker Chopped Pork Tacos
What You'll Need
For the Pork Rub:
·         1- 3 1/2 lb pork shoulder roast (or your preference of pork roast) 
·         4 tbsp chili powder
·         1 tbsp sea salt
·         2 tbsp brown sugar
·         2 tsp garlic powder
·         2 tsp ground cumin
·         1 tsp ground oregano
·         1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Roast:
·         Vegetable oil, enough to cover ½ inch of pan bottom
·         Rubbed pork roast
In the Crock:
·         1 cup water
·         3 tbsp beef bullion
Optional Taco Items:
·         Small flour or corn tortillas
·         Salsa
·         Shredded Cheese
·         Avocado slices
·         Chopped Cilantro
·         Sour Cream
How to Make It
·         Place all of the Rub Ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with a whisk. Add pork roast to the bowl and rub the dry ingredients all over the pork. Save any leftover spices for crock pot.
·         Heat oil in cast iron, or frying pan, on medium high heat.
·         Place the rubbed pork into the hot oil. Brown the pork on all sides.
·         Pour the water, bullion, and leftover spices into the crock pot and mix.
·         Place the browned pork into the crock pot with the fat side down.
·         Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 hours, until cooked through.
·         Let sit on wood cutting board for 20 minutes, and then chop for the tacos. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, spot on with your assessment of your local grocery stores! Second, I shopped in the "big" town west of you yesterday and was thoroughly amused as the cashier examined my purchases with a perplexed look...spaghetti squash, roasted red peppers, and of course, cilantro!! Enjoying your blog so far!!! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, how funny! I just think it is hilarious, I use cilantro every chance I can ha :) Thanks so much for reading, more to come soon!

      Delete