Friday, January 29, 2016

Grief, Pshh, What's That?

Let me just start off by saying, this has been one of the most difficult seasons of our lives. We have moved away from all of our family and friends, a loved couple is going through a nasty divorce, a close one's miscarriage, I've had two grandmothers and just this week a father-in-law pass away. It just seems like I KNOW that the devil is out in full force. John 10:10 says,

 "The thief comes only that he may steal, and kill, and destroy,"

Satan is on the attack. He is looking and seeking to exploit each situation we go through. He is wanting to turn every situation to bad, when God is "making all things new" (Revelations 21:5). 

Normally when dealing with grief, the days seem to blur together; you float through all of the different emotions. You cry, you're angry, etc. However, my husband and I both have this great ability to stuff our feelings way down deep and not mess with them for awhile. We talk about our feelings with each other, but we don't talk about our feelings with the outside world. We take control and put on our big girl pants. We deal with the myriad of questions and decisions that need to be made. We are the strong and silent ones.  We are the ones who others think are acting weird because we're not crying. This is the way we both deal. In this recognition, we both realize that this facade of strength is not truly the way we feel. It's a mask. It's protection. It takes the place of our real feelings, until we feel at home and comfortable to handle these raw emotions. Only until we feel comfortable can we let that guard down and face the facts. Only until then can we let God in to begin the healing.  I absolutely detest it when people say that God will not give you more than you can handle. That statement is 100% inaccurate! He most certainly does!

Throughout the Bible, we are told "salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; he is the stronghold in the time of trouble" (Psalm 37:39), "do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God" (Isaiah 41:10), "cast your cares on the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall" (Psalm 55:22). Verse after verse God tells us to just rely on Him. Why in the world do we just not listen? Why do we think to ourselves, "I can't handle this, what am I going to do?"

In Judges chapter 7 and 8, the Bible tells us of Gideon's army of only 300 defeating the Midian army of over 100,000. God told Gideon to wipe out the Midian army. They were completely outnumbered. They were hungry, tired, and weary, but Gideon prayed and felt God's presence. With renewed faith and a new vision, Gideon and his army took the Midian camp by surprise at night. Not one of Gideon's men were harmed. They were faced with an impossible situation, and were forced to wholly depend on the fact that God had their back. And guess what, He DID! 

If you are in a rough season, I am in there with you and so is our heavenly father. John 14:18 "I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you." We are never left alone in our grief.We also can not forget the fact that getting through grief is partially up to us. LaKeisha Rainey-Collins from EEW Magazine says,

"Although God will see us through, that does not negate the fact that we must learn how to go through His way. The way of escape is already mapped out; however, we must be in tune with God in order to allow His Holy Spirit to lead us to that place of deliverance.  This can be accomplished by running to the Lord, instead of appeasing our flesh, even in the midst of our fiercest storm."

We have to know and believe that God can and will pull us through these storms. We also have to acknowledge that we do in fact have to deal with the grief. You can not just push it down forever. It's difficult and it's raw. Your grief is unlike anyone else's. Your grieving time will not be standardized. Dealing with the grief though, is what is absolutely essential in healing. You have to deal with it in order to move on in life. Don't rush yourself to be done with grief. Allow God's perfect love and timing to heal you, and our mighty God will be with you every step of the way, if only you let Him. 

I'll leave you with the rest of the verse from John 10:10,

"But I have come so that you may have life, and have it in abundance!"

He loves us so. Be blessed my loves. 



x

4 comments:

  1. Kristyn thank you!! Words we should all take to heart!! This really touched me!! I have been struggling with grief of the lose of my parents for several years now and truely needed to hear this!!thank you so much for sharing!! Love you guys so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very tough subject. It's also very close to my heart, so I feel obligated to be open and real. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow!!I'm w u on the private tears.. I'm glad I read this in my room.. alone. The comfort I feel in knowing I'm not alone in this is very ..... Comforting. Ilu my sweet niece/ daughter/ friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not gonna lie, I had a couple as well... alone, in my room ;) love you Ang!

      Delete