Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Your Best Will Never Be Enough

What happens when your “best foot forward” isn’t good enough? When you feel like nothing you do is good enough? What happens when you feel like you have given it your all and it’s still not enough?

The Wedding at Cana – John 2:1-10
On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.” His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best until now.”

The family had already put out the best wine first, but it wasn’t enough. Jesus had to step in and fill in the rest and keep the best for last. The areas in our lives where we just don’t add up, Jesus can step in and show us to count on Him to fill us.

There are 3 things I would encourage you to do to allow God to place His best in your life:

1.       Be willing to be authentic. Now, when I say this, I mean that you have to be willing to own your deficiencies and say, “I need you Jesus.” You and I are not super human!

v  When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” (v. 3). She knew that they needed help, and that she could not fix the problem, but that He could. Sometimes admitting that we simply cannot do everything is the hardest. Almost three years ago, my pastor came to me and asked me to consider taking the Children’s Director position at our church. I was ecstatic. My husband and I had prayed that I would find a job in our church that would allow me to still be available to our children throughout the day. This was seriously too good to be true! I took the job. And I did the job mostly on my own for about 6 months. I loved it! At one of our staff meetings, I was advised to pick a few members of the church to be on my Children’s Ministry Team. Let me tell you, this was a big transition! When I spoke with the first person on my list, I actually told her that taking this position on my team would only require her to pray for me and the work we were doing, and maybe occasionally help me with special events! Of course, she gladly accepted! How hard could that be? I was still in control, and I had someone praying specifically for me and the work, ya can’t beat that, right?! Throughout the next two years, my team grew to five women. I learned to lean on them, to give them responsibilities, to let them make decisions. This was not easy. I had to come to the realization though, that I simply could not do it all on my own. I needed someone to fill in the gaps.

2.       Have a divine anticipation that God will fill and give you what you need. Whatever God tells you to do, no matter how simple or how hard - JUST DO IT!

v  His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” (v. 7). Moving to Mississippi has got to be one of the hardest things God has ever told us to do. Honestly, we prayed and knew that God had big plans for our move; we just did not want to leave our comfort zone. I knew in November 2014 that we would be moving away from our friends and family eventually. We did not commit to moving until May 2015. I think we hoped that God would change His mind, or at least change His plans for us. Why couldn’t we just stay in our comfortable home, with our comfortable church, and with our comfortable family and friends? Why? Because God has infinite knowledge and because He has a specific plan for our lives. After living in Mississippi for over six months, we finally have listened enough to figure out what our purpose is for being in this specific town, at this specific time. (*More about that to come soonJ ) How much sooner could we have known what our purpose was, how much closer to bringing God glory with this ministry, how many more lives could have been positively changed if we had just listened and obeyed from the get go? Do whatever he tells you. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11. Whatever God tells you to do – Just do it!

3.       Share what God has given you. God saves the best for the end of your resources. Sharing what God has given you, you’ll do everything you can humanly do-  then God will come in and fill in all the rest. When we share our beliefs and talents with others, a miracle happens.

v  And the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best until now.”(v. 9-10)

News Flash: Your best will never be enough! However, it doesn’t have to be because God is! Be encouraged by taking your focus off of yourself and turning it to Jesus. Take comfort in knowing that God fills in the tiny cracks and the gaping holes, where we could never.


He loves us so. Be blessed my loves. 







*My notes from this study were from a live session with Priscilla Shirer: God's Best in Your Life at a DotMom event :)

2 comments:

  1. God is always good enough!! I am living proof when you give yourself to God, he turns your life into what you dream it to become. Life has given me some hard things to overcome but God has never left me and has always worked to heal and protect me. I am so thankful and love all the amazing things he has done with me. God is good!!
    Your blog was so good, inspiring!! Can't wait to see my family on Sunday!!! You be safe traveling :) Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I have screwed things up and God has been there to turn it to good! Actually, I can-- EVERY TIME! Love you so!

      Delete